February 27th, 2019
44 mins 28 secs
About this Episode
TableXI is now offering training for developers and products teams! For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org or find us at http://tablexi.com.workshops
Today on the show, we're talking about hiring with Jennifer Tu and Zee Spencer of Cohere, Thayer Prime of Team Prime, and software consultant Matt Patterson. We talk about the entire developer hiring process from how to advertise your company to potential candidates, through coding tests and interviews, and all the way to the final decision process. It's a great conversation with a lot of different perspectives and a lot of good advice. We’d like to hear from you. What do you look for when hiring developers? Let us know at http://techdoneright.io/56 or on Twitter at
- Jennifer Tu: Cofounder of Cohere.
- Zee Spencer: Cofounder of Cohere.
- Thayer Prime: Founder of Team Prime.
- Matt Patterson: Software Consultant.
02:55 - Common Mistakes When Hiring Developers
05:17 - Effective Hiring Procedures and Interview Processes
10:31 - Getting Your Company’s Name Out There
15:30 - Recruitment, Onboarding, and Reviews
18:52 - Sending Take-Home Exercises and the Problems They Present; Pre-Hire Pairing
30:33 - Good and Bad Uses of Interview Time
33:11 - Developing Interview Question and Using Standardization to Remove Biases
35:34 - Making Yes/No Decisions
- Apprenticeship with Megan Tiu, Kara Carrell, and Alyssa Ramsey
- Diversity and Inclusion at Small Companies with Meara Charnetzki, Michael Donnelly, and Elena Valentine
- Live Panel: Hiring Developers in (and out of) Health Care
- Developer Bootcamps and Computing Education with Jeff Casimir and Mark Guzdial