Brandon Hays and Pete Brooks join the Tech Done Right podcast to discuss career development. We'll discuss some career development questions like: What makes somebody a senior developer? How do you acquire senior developer skills? What can you do to prepare yourself for a lifetime career and ensure that you are properly valued?
- Pete Brooks: Software Developer at Table XI. Author of "How I landed my first programming job"
- Brandon Hays: “My friend” and line-level developer at OJO Labs
02:07 - Classifying Yourself as a Developer
- The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development (12 Traits Blog Post)
05:51 - Working Independently" “Throw a couple juniors at it!”
09:19 - What does it meant to progress?
- Brandon Hays: The long strange trip as a software developer @ RubyConf 2016
- Brandon Hays: Hacking Spacetime for a Successful Career @ RubyConf 2015
- Occam’s Razor
13:43 - Quantifying Value and Talking About Money
17:27 - The Cult of the New: The Approach to Technology and Breaking Into the Industry
- Impostor Syndrome
22:54 - Learning New Things and Becoming Professionally Proficient; Levelling
- Software Engineer Career Ladder
32:04 - When do I need to move on? Where do I see myself going?
34:20 - What should new developers be doing?
- John Allspaw: On Being A Senior Engineer
- Find and befriend a software developer with 25+ years of experience.
Pete: Keep following your interests.