Episode 002: Career Development With Brandon Hays and Pete Brooks
About This Episode
Brandon Hays and Pete Brooks join the Tech Done Right podcast to discuss career development. We'll discuss some career development questions like: What makes somebody a senior developer? How do you acquire senior developer skills? What can you do to prepare yourself for a lifetime career and ensure that you are properly valued?
- Pete Brooks: Software Developer at Table XI. Author of "How I landed my first programming job"
- Brandon Hays: “My friend” and line-level developer at OJO Labs
02:07 - Classifying Yourself as a Developer
- The Conjoined Triangles of Senior-Level Development (12 Traits Blog Post)
05:51 - Working Independently" “Throw a couple juniors at it!”
09:19 - What does it meant to progress?
- Brandon Hays: The long strange trip as a software developer @ RubyConf 2016
- Brandon Hays: Hacking Spacetime for a Successful Career @ RubyConf 2015
- Occam’s Razor
13:43 - Quantifying Value and Talking About Money
17:27 - The Cult of the New: The Approach to Technology and Breaking Into the Industry
- Impostor Syndrome
22:54 - Learning New Things and Becoming Professionally Proficient; Levelling
- Software Engineer Career Ladder
32:04 - When do I need to move on? Where do I see myself going?
34:20 - What should new developers be doing?
- John Allspaw: On Being A Senior Engineer
- Find and befriend a software developer with 25+ years of experience.
Pete: Keep following your interests.